
My freshman year of college I tried to study literature in hopes of becoming the romantic english professor or some brilliant or witty author (okay not really brilliant, but something along those lines). When I realized I was no good at english, I swallowed my pride, followed the advice of my dad, and chose the science route. Despite all of my past resistance, I fell in love with biology. This was the beginning of my realization that I am a nerd, and not so much the romantic, witty type. Even though I was beginning to understand the truth, I was still in a little bit of denial.
I don't think I would have completly come to this realization if it weren't for Mikey and our daily conversations. I get to his house. I ask him how his day went. He tells me about the cool things he did in one of his business classes (like hearing from some fancy, shmancy CEO of some crazy cool company). Then comes my day.
Mikey: So tell me what you did today.
Me: Well this morning I went to my organic chemistry class and had a blast.
Mikey: ah (trying to hold back a smirk)
Me: And then I did electrophoresis and PCR for my mentored research.
Mikey: Alright (By now I can tell he's holding back the laughter).
Me: Then tonight I went to my pre-physician assistant club meeting. We ordered club t-shirts, so...that was pretty cool.
Mikey: (That's when he says it in the mocking robotic voice that he always uses when I talk science.) I am a huge nerd.
So this is how it happened - how I came to grips that I'm a huge nerd. The good thing is, I'm not afraid of it anymore. Rather, I embrace it.
1 comment:
Okay, you made me laugh so hard. And, I don't think YOU are a nerd; I just think you like nerdy things! Also, you are a really great writer- I'm impressed with your story telling!
Post a Comment